Sunday, July 27, 2014

Once Saved, Always Saved



I was reading through some things the other day about different denominations and doctrines and such. The differences between Baptist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Pentecostal, etc. are few in number it seems, yet major in belief at some times. It was interesting, though, as I was reading trying to see which I identified with more. I read from more than one source that Baptists believe "Once saved, Always saved" and I wondered how I felt about that. Honestly, the thought never crossed my mind before! The idea that once you believe and confess and give your life to Christ... that's it. You will never lose salvation. You can do whatever you want and still be saved.... Really? Not to discount someone else's beliefs, but for me personally, I think otherwise...
I found a website that explains how I feel better than I can (not great with those word-thingys) Once Saved, Always Saved - Fact or Fiction?   Click here for the opposing argument.
(Yes, I do believe that salvation is a gift that cannot be earned, because we are all unworthy of it. But gifts can be returned/rejected.)

I think that if you willingly walk away from or turn your back on salvation (even after you have accepted it) that you have made a conscious decision to abandon that salvation (although, I do believe that it is still available to you if you so choose to accept it again).  I don't see what the point would be for God to say "Oh, you have accepted Jesus as your personal savior?!?! Great! Now go and live as the world does! Nothing has to change. Just be who you've been, or worse, and I will still allow you to receive the gift of being with me eternally!" Now, I am not saying that if you sin, you will lose the gift of salvation. We all sin. ALL of us. Yes, even you. But it is one thing to be human and occasionally sin and feel guilty and repent and turn towards God, and another thing entirely to spit in His face and say "I'm gonna live how I wanna live."

I probably shouldn't have written about such a touchy subject, but I am curious to know how you feel and how you substantiate your beliefs biblically.

Here are some scriptures that stood out to me.

Hebrews 6:4-6  For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit,  and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come,  and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

Hebrews 10:26-27 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.

2 Peter 2:20-22  For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. What the true proverb says has happened to them: “The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.”

WHAT SAY YOU?!?!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Salvation is free, but it wasn't cheap!
    Jesus said in Revelation 3:5 "He that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels." To me, Jesus implies that he that does NOT overcome WILL have his name blotted out of the book of life.

    ReplyDelete